Tax Series: Attendant at Staebler Oil Co. Gas Station on S. State
Tax Series: Attendant at Staebler Oil Co. Gas Station on S. State.
"That's the Staebler gas station, NW corner of S. State and E. Jefferson, which stood directly across State Street from Angell Hall. It was torn down in the 1940s, along with the house next door, to make room for construction of the new University Administration Building (now the LS&A Building). The part of Jefferson Street between Maynard and State was closed then, and Jefferson now ends at Maynard. That is the Art Museum in the background which was then known as Alumni Memorial Hall." - Wystan Stevens
"The 'auto specialists' at Washtenaw Dairy today identified it as a 1928 Packard. The car at left they label as a 1937 Ford."
In March, 1938, the Ann Arbor Daily News ran a 15-part series on taxation by Arthur W. Stace, reporter, Guy W. Jenkins, News Lansing bureau chief with charts and maps prepared by Professor Kenneth C. McMurry, chairman of the Georgraphy department of the University of Michigan. Although pictures were taken for the series, none ever appeared in the paper.
Article Keywords: Gas Stations, Staebler Oil Co., Taxation, University of Michigan - Buildings, University of Michigan - Campus, University of Michigan - Faculty & Staff
Places: 444 S State St
Date: March 1938
Copyright: Copyright Protected
Rights Held by: Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.