Papers

Ann Arbor Argus

The Ann Arbor Argus grew out of the Michigan Argus, renamed by new owner John N. Bailey beginning with the October 17, 1879 issue. The democratic paper frequently switched between weekly and semi-weekly publication throughout its history. The Ann Arbor Argus name ended (for a time) when it merged with Ann Arbor Democrat and Ypsilanti Weekly Times into one newspaper, the Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat.

Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Argus from 1888-1898. Browse Ann Arbor Argus issues and articles.

Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat

The Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat was formed in October 1898 when the Ann Arbor Argus, Ann Arbor Democrat, and Ypsilanti Weekly Times merged into one newspaper. It was published under this name until January 1906, when it was renamed the Ann Arbor Weekly Argus, having become largely a weekly reprinting of articles published in the Ann Arbor Daily Argus. The Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat was the leading weekly Democratic paper published in Ann Arbor during this time.

Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat from 1898-1899. Browse Ann Arbor Argus-Democrat issues and articles.

Ann Arbor Courier

The Ann Arbor Courier was a weekly newspaper published in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Ann Arbor Courier began in 1876 after changing it's name from the Peninsular Courier and Family Visitant and continued to be published until it purchased rival newspaper the Ann Arbor Register and became the Courier-Register in 1899. The Ann Arbor Courier was owned and edited for its entire run by members of the Beal family, first Rice Beal and then his son Junius Beal.

Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Ann Arbor Courier from 1880-1888. Browse Ann Arbor Courier issues and articles.

Ann Arbor News

The Ann Arbor News known to us until recently began under that name in 1927. It grew out of a long line of newspapers with frequent name changes including the Ann Arbor Times, Daily Times News, even Ann Arbor News for short time. This time the name stuck and the paper was Ann Arbor's major daily until ceasing publication in July 2009. Along with articles from the Ann Arbor News, Old News also features photos from the photographic negatives file, including never-before published images.

Browse Ann Arbor News articles and images by people.
Browse Ann Arbor News articles and images by topics.
Browse all Ann Arbor News articles.
Browse all Ann Arbor News photos.

Ann Arbor Sun

The Sun was the newspaper for a succession of communities around the paper's founder and first editor, John Sinclair. Begun in 1967 in Detroit as the Warren-Forrest Sun, the name was changed to the Ann Arbor Sun when the Trans-Love Energies commune moved to Ann Arbor in 1968 and set up shop at 1510 and 1520 Hill St. The newspaper was the mouthpiece for the White Panther Party and the succeeding Rainbow People's Party before being an independent publication devoted to local issues, left-wing politics, music, and arts. To learn more about the Sun, the White Panther/Rainbow People's Party, and John Sinclair, go to Freeing John Sinclair.

Old News has digitized issues and articles of the Sun from 1967-1976. Browse Ann Arbor Sun issues and articles.

Agenda

Agenda was an independent, non-aligned newspaper that served Ann Arbor and nearby towns from 1986 to 1998. It was set up by founders and editors, Laurie Wechter and Ted Sylvester, as a forum for the area’s many liberal/leftist activist groups and nonprofit human service organizations. The content of Agenda, mostly community-generated, evolved over the years to include more alternative arts coverage -- with event calendars and reviews of movies, music, theater, and books. A “free” newspaper with a monthly circulation of 20,000 copies, Agenda was supported by advertising and paid subscriptions.

Old News features articles digitized from the following issues of the Agenda. Browse Agenda issues and articles.