Ladies Library Association

Rev. Samuel Earp Commences Rectorship of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in July 1885

Ann Arbor Courier, June 10, 1885


Rev. Samuel Earp Commences Rectorship of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in July 1885
Day: 
10
Month: 
June
Year: 
1885
Copyright: 
Public Domain
 

Ladies' Library Association Sesquicentennial Lecture: Professor Francis X. Blouin Jr. Discusses Connecting the City: Libraries and Collections in Ann Arbor

Media Player

October 1, 2016 at Downtown Library Multi-Purpose Room

We talk a lot these days about "connectivity" that now means being plugged into the Internet and all the information it provides. But, being connected certainly predates the arrival of the smartphone.

Ann Arbor in the 19th century, though a small town, also wanted to be connected to the wider world. They achieved this through an astonishing accumulation of what Henry Tappan called the "materials of learning."

For this special presentation in honor of the Ladies' Library Association Sesquicentennial, Professor Francis X. Blouin Jr. will discuss the accumulation of more than 40 million objects, including the holdings of the Ann Arbor District Library, which exist in our city and have connected us in different ways to the world. Professor Blouin will also discuss how and why these were collected and cataloged.

Francis X. Blouin Jr. is a professor in the University of Michigan's School of Information and the Department of History and the former Director of the Bentley Historical Library.

The Ladies' Library Association
In 1866 a group of Ann Arbor women formed a small subscription library to fill the need for a free, public library in Ann Arbor. Initially, they occupied a rented space above Main Street. Over time, their collection grew, and by 1885 they had purchased land and erected a building. The ladies supported their endeavors with concerts, strawberry festivals, and other fundraising activities, and soon amassed a sizable collection.

Libraries in frontier towns were considered intellectual luxuries, but the 35 ladies who founded the Ladies' Library Association were determined, like similar women's groups in Kalamazoo, Flint, and Lansing, to establish a library in their young town 42 years after its founding. In 1916, on the 50th anniversary of their association, the Ladies' Library Association transferred their collection to the Ann Arbor Public School District.

Ann Arbor's LLA is unique in maintaining an unbroken existence to the present time. Since their inception, they have remained active supporters of the Library, using the income from their endowment to purchase a beautiful collection of art books for the Library, and to furnish the branches with original works of art.

In 2016 we celebrate the Sesquicentennial of the Ladies' Library Association, thanking them for 150 years of service to the greater Ann Arbor Community.

After Years of Neglect, Tiffany Window Shines Light on Ypsilanti's Past

Ann Arbor News, December 25, 1985


After Years of Neglect, Tiffany Window Shines Light on Ypsilanti's Past
After Years of Neglect, Tiffany Window Shines Light on Ypsilanti's Past
Day: 
25
Month: 
December
Year: 
1985
Copyright: 
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

Dr. Tappan Not Coming

Michigan Argus, May 5, 1876


Dr. Tappan Not Coming
Day: 
5
Month: 
May
Year: 
1876
Copyright: 
Public Domain

The Pioneer Society

Michigan Argus, March 3, 1876


The Pioneer Society
Day: 
3
Month: 
March
Year: 
1876
Copyright: 
Public Domain

Ladies Library Association 1885 Cornerstone Installed at Ann Arbor Public Library, April 1966

Ladies Library Association 1885 Cornerstone Installed at Ann Arbor Public Library, April 1966
Published in Issue: 
Ann Arbor News, April 7, 1966
Caption: 
Cornerstone Installed - As part of the centennial anniversary program of the Ladies Library Association, the cornerstone of the old Ladies' Library was installed in the Ann Arbor Public Library. Present were Mrs. Harold E. Wethey, president of the association; Homer R. Chance, director of the Ann Arbor public libraries; and Mrs. James M. Plumer, past president and now a board member of the association.
Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.


Early Building Gives Way To New

Ann Arbor News, March 1, 1946


Early Building Gives Way To New
Day: 
1
Month: 
March
Year: 
1946
Copyright: 
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

Office Building Replaces Landmark On E. Huron St.

Ann Arbor News, March 1, 1946


Office Building Replaces Landmark On E. Huron St.
Day: 
1
Month: 
March
Year: 
1946
Copyright: 
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.

New Library Dedication Set Tomorrow

Ann Arbor News, October 12, 1957


New Library Dedication Set Tomorrow
Day: 
12
Month: 
October
Year: 
1957
Copyright: 
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related: 

Library Group Observing Centennial

Ann Arbor News, April 7, 1966


Library Group Observing Centennial
Day: 
7
Month: 
April
Year: 
1966
Copyright: 
Copyright Protected
Rights Held By: 
Donated by the Ann Arbor News. © The Ann Arbor News.
Related: 
Syndicate content